Aliens/Enemies: The Beast, The Ood
New Characters: Ida Scott, Mr. Jefferson, Zack, Toby, Danny, Scooti
Gadgets Used: None
Episode Objective: To find the TARDIS, and to discover why the planet is able to orbit a black hole without being sucked in.
- The TARDIS appears in a store cupboard
- In a sanctuary base
- The Doctor notes theres something wrong with it
- Like it's got a stomach problem
- A doorway opens
- Some aliens appear
- They claim that they 'must feed'
- Ssurround The Doctor and Rose
- And add '... you, if you are hungry'
- They are Ood, a basic slave race
- Another hatch opens,
- And three humans enter
- Jefferson is surprised to see the Doctor and Rose
- He reports their presence to Captain Zack
- The voice of Ida Scott comes over the speakers
- Warning that a 'big one' is coming.
- The base begins to shudder and an alarm sounds.
- All the humans enter the control room
- There is an earthquake like impact
- Then introductions are given
- The others are surprised to see The Doctor and Rose
- Ida pulls a lever which opens the roof
- And reveals the black hole
- Which they are orbiting
- The Doctor states that it is impossible
- Ida agrees
- She says the reason they were on the planet
- Was to find the power source which was keeping it in orbit
- So they are in the process of drilling into the planet
- The Doctor realizes the room where the TARDIS was has collapsed
- And the TARDIS has fallen into a crevasse
- Strange things begin to happen around the base
- Toby hears voices whispering to him
- The Ood give random comments
- Such as 'the beast shall rise from its pit'
- The base computer utters 'He is awake.'
- The Doctor asks Danny how the Ood communicate
- Danny says that they are empaths
- Connected by a low level telepathic field
- Measured at Basic 5.
- But the field strength climbs to Basic 30
- The Ood below them sit up and stare at them
- Rose mentions the voice on her telephone
- The Ood reply in unison, '…and you will worship him.'
- Scooti finds that someone has left the base
- She looks out a window and sees Toby on the surface
- He's not wearing a space suit and covered in ancient ruins
- He clenches his fist, and the glass shatters
- Air rushes out of the base.
- All survive including a normal Toby
- But a dead Scooti is discovered floating in space
- It is learned they have successfully finished drilling
- The Doctor and Ida enter a lift and prepare to descend
- The Ood's telepathic field reaches basic 100 - brain death.
- Ida and The Doctor arrive in a giant and ancient cavern
- Toby once again becomes possessed
- The ruins covering his body fly off him onto an Ood.
- The Ood speak as one
- And identify themselves as the Legion of the Beast
- They kill one of the crew
- And advance.
- The Doctor and Ida find a giant circular hole
- It is set in the floor of the cavern
- With a closed trapdoor
- As the planet begins to shake, the trapdoor opens...
- Laughing at the TARDIS
- Meeting the Ood
- Eating in the dining room
- The Doctor and Rose talking about a 'normal life'
- Glimpses of the Beast
[The TARDIS materialises and The Doctor and Rose walk out]
The Doctor: I don't know whats wrong though, she's sort of... queezy. Indigestion. Like she didn't want to land..
Rose: Well... if you think it's going to be trouble we could always... get back inside and go somewhere else...
[They both burst out laughing]
The Doctor: I think... we've landed in a cupboard. Here we go!
The Doctor: We must be in some kind of base... moon base, sea base, they build these things out of kits... Human design, you've got a thing about kits. This things was put together like a flat-pack wardrobe... only bigger... and easier.
Scooti: Wow people, look at that, real people.
The Doctor: That's us. Hooray!
Ida: Well, we've come this far, there's no turning back.
The Doctor: Oh come on! Did you have to? 'No turning back,' that's almost as bad as 'Nothing
could possibly go wrong,' or 'This is gonna be the best Christmas Walford's ever had!'
Ida: Have you finished?
The Doctor: Yeah... finished.
Beast: The pit is open... and I am free!