Aliens/Enemies: The Gelth
New Characters: Charles Dickens, Gwyneth, Sneed
Gadgets Used: None
Episode Objective: To discover what is making dead people walk, try and help the Gelth, and stop the Gelth when they become evil.
- Sneed owns a morgue
- Gwyneth works there
- His corpses sometimes go a-walking...
- The Doctor tries to take Rose to Napals in 1860
- They arrive in Cardiff 1869
- Rose is disappointed...
- Charles Dickens is going on stage
- He's very depressed
- And believes his life is now pointless...
- He sees an audience member glowing blue
- It is one of Sneed's corpses...
- The Doctor and Rose arrive
- The Doctor questions Dickens
- Sneed and Gwyneth take the corpse
- Rose chases after them...
- The strange blue ghost disappears into the gas lights
- Rose is chloroformed by Sneed...
- When she wakes up, she is in the morgue
- Two corpses approach her threateningly
- The Doctor turns up and confronts the corpses...
- They tell him they are failing and ask for help
- They turn into gas and disappear into the lighting...
- Gwyneth and Rose get all chummy.
- Gwyneth has a slight psychic tendency
- Almost a 'second sight' due to being brought up on the rift...
- They hold a séance
- The blue ghosts reveal themselves to be The Gelth
- Their home and bodies were destroyed in the Time War
- They ask for help...
- They describe how Gwyneth can be used to open the rift
- And how they can use the corpses as new bodies...
- Rose is against it
- The Doctor is for it
- Rose is against it again
- Gwyneth is for it
- Dickens doesn't believe any of it...
- It is discovered that the Gelth were lying
- They were planning to take over the bodies of Earth
- Dickens realizes the gas can be used to stop the Gelth
- He turns up all of the gas lamps
- The Gelth are sucked back into the houses gas system...
- The Doctor realizes Gwyneth is already dead
- Gwyneth takes a match and blows up the house...
- Dickens now has a new faith in life
- He laughs merrily as the TARDIS vanishes...
- The Doctor and Dickens' conversation
- The final appearance of the Gelth
- The fact that Dickens is happy at the end
- Rose's rant, slapping Sneed, and the Doctor grinning in the background
The Doctor: Go out there dressed like that, you'll start a riot... There's a wardrobe through there. First left, second right, third room on the left, go straight ahead, under the stairs, past the bins, fifth door on your left. Hurry up!
The Doctor: I'm the Doctor, by the way.
Charles Dickens: A Doctor? You look more like a navvy.
The Doctor: [exasperated] What's wrong with this jumper?
The Doctor: Honestly, Charles. Er, can I call you Charles? I'm such a big fan.
Dickens: Er.. your a... what? Big what?
The Doctor: Fan. Number one fan, that's me.
Dickens: How exactly are you a fan? In what way do you resemble the means of keeping oneself cool?
Gelth: The Time War. The whole universe convulsed. The Time War raged, invisible to smaller species but devastating to higher forms. Our bodies wasted away.
The Doctor: Nothing is safe, remember that. Nothing.
The Doctor: I saw the Fall of Troy! World War Five! I was pushing boxes at the Boston Tea Party! Now I'm gonna die in a dungeon... [makes a face] in Cardiff!
The Doctor: I'm so glad I met you.
Rose: Me too.